5 Essential Tips to Stay Fit While Traveling
Sometimes we need to get away from it all, kick back, relax and enjoy a well earnt break. However, just because you’ve made holiday plans, doesn’t mean you need to neglect and stall your gym progress. Having a small checklist to help you stay on track during a fat loss or maintenance phase is a must! Last thing you want is to undermine the hard work, hours and effort you’ve put in both inside and outside the gym. So without further ado, here are my top tips to keep you on the straight and narrow while you’re away on a long break…
- Supplements: First and foremost, always make sure to take supplements with you in order to help maintain the progress that you’ve made with your body composition. But the question is – which ones? My personal favourites are; Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fish oil. Magnesium is a versatile nutrient that our bodies require in order to stay in tip top form for energy, better sleep quality, muscle movement and nervous system regulation. Vitamin D is great for regulating insulin levels, support lung function, bone strength as well as boosting your immune system. Lastly, Fish Oil is unparalleled when it comes to reducing inflammation and brain health. I prioritise these three supplements when travelling as they do so much, plus they usually come in convenient small containers which saves space.
- Keep your activity levels up: If you’re in true holiday spirit, it’s unlikely that you’re going to be tracking how many calories you have burnt right down to the tee. Simply planning an activity or two with your partner, family, or friends will do the trick. Activities such as hiking, snorkelling, jet-skiing, or cycling are all great ways to have fun, whilst simultaneously keeping you on the right track.
- Sleep: This is one I cannot stress enough – get some good quality sleep! Staying up late and partying is completely fine when on holiday, but try and aim to get at least 7-8 hours of good quality, deep sleep. Always make sure that you rest as much as you play. Doing this will guarantee that you’ll be alert and ready for your activities the next day. You don’t want to be operating on minimal energy while everyone else is full of energy and ready to go. After all, it’s meant to be a holiday!
- Mindful eating: From time to time, I pig out. But, I counter act it by watching what I eat for the meal after. Let’s say you over-indulge at breakfast and inhale bacon, eggs AND waffles. For your next two meals, make sure there are zero starchy carbs or sugars, and aim to have, a big bowl of salad and a side of lean meat like white fish or chicken. The next meal should be relatively similar, except, I would suggest you add a serving of fruit or two. This will ensure you’ll have enough energy for any activities you have planned. Pigging out is fine (once in a while!), you just need to pick and choose your times, then adjust accordingly.
- HAVE FUN! Having a good time, and relieving your stress levels is the easiest way to stay on track. Stress and heightened levels of cortisol can harm your short term and long term health, and can hinder you when trying to, lose or gain weight. Stress can also lead to excessive eating, and can have harmful effects on your body’s internal function. So, try to be PRESENT and in the moment, and enjoy the company of whoever you may be with!
These are the boxes I try and make sure to check every single day I’m away. Follow these simple steps, and I guarantee you’ll be feeling fresh and rejuvenated when you get back to the hustle and bustle of the work and social world.
– Paolo Esguerra, Hybrid Personal Trainer