5 Reasons Why You Should Get A Mammogram
11 women in Hong Kong are diagnosed with breast cancer every day, according to the Hong Kong Breast Cancer Foundation.
The risk of getting breast cancer in your lifetime is 1 in every 15 women. In 2016, 54% of the women diagnosed with breast cancer were aged 40-59. The older the age, the greater the risk. October is a time to remember how key it is to take care of our bodies, and to make sure we are always taking the necessary preemptive measures to strike disease out before it has a chance to spread.
Don’t just wear a pink ribbon this month. Show your support by looking after your own health, and making an appointment for a mammogram.
Being in my 40’s, there are an increasing amount of health concerns to be aware of, and with breast cancer being the leading form of cancer affecting women in HK, I understand the importance of getting an annual checkup with my doctor. Regular breast screening and early detection is the best defence.
Still unsure about taking the next step? Here are 5 reasons why you should book your appointment to get that mammogram:
- It is SAFE, while being one of the best tests for early detection.
- Early detection is key! The survival rate with early detection is 97.5% within 5 years and so getting to know your breasts and having an annual mammogram appointment will help you and your family catch it in the early stages.
- You can’t always notice changes through self checking. A mammogram will highlight changes in the breast tissue before you may feel, see or notice any difference, and can reduce mortality by at least 26% according to HKBCF.
- Its FAST; your appointment shouldn’t take any longer than a mere 30-45 minutes. That’s a lunch hour which can save your life with very little discomfort during the actual exam.
- Spread the knowledge about breast health and discuss the experience with those around you. Your trip to the clinic, and helping to raise awareness around the experience could save someone else’s life.
At the 2019 rate of cancer risk, it is estimated that 1 in every 4 women will have some sort of breast cancer after reaching 40.
This is an extremely high statistic. If you think of your group of friends alone, one of you could be walking around completely undetected.
This month and every month, put your health on the top of the ‘to-do’ list.
We only have one body. We only have one life. We should do all we can to protect and preserve it. Show love to your body, yourself, and your family by putting your health first… and get the mammogram!
Article by Maria Brusuelas